Total Pageviews

Monday 25 November 2013

Ripe for the Picking: Pistachio Olivetti Lettera 22 Portable, the Leonard Cohen Typewriter








The lady who picked up the Tippa and Lettera 22 from me this afternoon was a satisfied customer, having already bought an Olympia SM3. As she left, she offered to let her network of female friends know I had typewriters for sale. Within a few hours I have received EIGHT requests for typewriters. You beauty!!!


Anyone know anything about the sliding comb under the key levers on these early model Olivetti Lettera 22s? I realise it blocks the key movement. But what exactly is the function of this? I note it was removed from the 32. Strikes me it is like the carriage lock on the Studio 42 - a bloody nuisance!

6 comments:

Richard P said...

Wow, that is a beauty. Glad to hear that your offerings are finding eager buyers.

Is the sliding comb supposed to engage once you reach the end of the line?

TonysVision said...


I am also offering up parts of my collection on eBay. So i understand the pain of parting, as well as the pleasure of seeing the proceeds pile up. But some, inexplicably to me, refuse to budge. So i am curious to know what works for you - straight auction, auction with buy it now, straight buy it now, etc. I, for one, sure wouldn't mind if you linked us to one of your ads.

Ha ha - A bit of a joke on me; of course, despite my current selling mode, I sure feel more than a twinge of lust at the ides of dipping into your collection and pulling out a beauty like that pistachio Lettera 22!

Erik said...

If you provide us your "Seller ID" we can follow all your auctions ;)

shordzi said...

Same as Erik, I would be interested in knowing your ebay channel. Apart from the monetary question, I think it is a good think to resize. I am still looking for a Roma and a Tropical for my collection, they don't seem to come up often. Good luck with all these ventures!

terry cooksley. said...

Re the

D. said...

The sliding comb is also present in the early version of Lettera 32. It serves to lock the keys when you reach the right margin block. If the machine is working, when you push the release margin key this piece of metal translate to few millimeters to unlock the keys. I have had some problems with an old Lettera 22: if there is dirty between this piece and the body of the machine you can't unlock keys, so I have had to clean carefully this part of the machine. All the best from Como, Italy. Davide