Total Pageviews

Monday 23 September 2013

Thurber's Kaligraph Sells for $40,250

Martin Donnelly, of Martin J. Donnelly Antique Tools, Avoca, New York, has let me know that Charles Thurber's 1857 and 1860 patent 'Kaligraph', in its original shipping crate, sold for $40,250 (including buyer's premium) at an auction in Nashua, New Hampshire, on Saturday. The anticipated price range was $6000 to $12,000. Here is my post about the auction from a month ago. The artist's impression of Thurber I used in that post showed, quite clearly, an earlier Thurber invention (and captioned as his "patent printer"), which is explained in my 'Truth about Thurber' post here.

3 comments:

Bill M said...

That is one mighty price! I cringe if I need to pay $50.00 for a typewriter.

Richard P said...

Wow. Just wow.

notagain said...

When I saw the headline, I thought "What was James Thurber doing with a Kaligraph?"