Total Pageviews

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Someone is Selling My Typewriter: When Will eBay DO Something About This Fraudulent Behaviour?

My Pakistan-made Lemair portable, photographed on my kitchen bench in Canberra last February. It is NOT for sale.
I guess it had to happen. Someone is trying to sell one of my typewriters on eBay. It is still in my house.
If you are watching item number 321248232459, don't buy it, it's not for sale. It's mine. 
It's my Pakistan-made Lemair portable. And it is NOT a "1950s Lemair ABC 1500", as listed.
The seller is 5400nay, who is already down to a 98.4 per cent positive feedback record after only 87 feedbacks. Little wonder!
The item is listed as "local pick up" only, which is impossible because the typewriter is in Canberra, not Melton in Victoria.
"Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing." Now come on, eBay, DO something about this! Make the seller responsible for fraudulent behaviour!
"An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." How could the seller possibly know what condition it is in? 
(A good friend who alerted me to this listing tells me this same typewriter has now been listed three times!)
The seller's response? "this isn't your typewriter, i don't understand why my using these images from Google affects you in any way ... I did get the photos from google as I take poor photos and don't own a camera." What the ...?

3 comments:

Rob Bowker said...

I never looked especially hard, but is there a method for reporting miscreant behaviour on ebay? As far as I can see, the worst you can do is leave neg feedback - but that means doing business with the chap. I think he's what's called "getting away with it because he can". It may come down to you to complain to him - send him a cease and desist letter? Invite 1000 post readers to give him a gentle nudge?

Anonymous said...

You could report the listing to eBay. eBay rules state that members are not allowed to use text or images they did not create themselves. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

There's a link further down the page to report a listing.

PhilipCohen said...

Don't look to eBay for relief. eBay is demonstrably the greatest calculated facilitator of fraud on consumers that the world is ever likely to know ...
Whatever, the ugly reality of eBay Inc.:
eBay's crooked auctions marketplace ... bit.ly/11F2eas
eBay's clunky, unscrupulous "PreyPal" ... bit.ly/UVXx53
The ongoing joke of it all ... bit.ly/YvxFEg
Fun quotes from the eBay executive suite ... bit.ly/12xvzyA