Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Fifty Shades of Grey: The Sadism of Selling an Olympia SM3 Portable Typewriter

I know how Brisbane collector Steve Snow felt when he said he had to lessen the pain with a beer or two after lightening his typewriter load by three machines. I own, as of Sunday afternoon, one portable typewriter less than I did a week ago. I was already missing her the moment she walked out the door and I am still missing her. She was one fine typer:







Charlie the Typewriter Guard Cat: "I was 50 shades of grey before it was cool! ...
"By the way, where's that grey Olympia SM3 gone?"



6 comments:

Scott K said...

Cor! What a beauty of a machine!

I hope it is well loved.

TonysVision said...

I feel your pain. Especially so, because that SM3 is the exact image of my first typewriter, a gift from my folks in 1957 to finish off my last couple of years of high school. It was my good friend until the 80's when it was stored away, not to come out again until last winter when my letter-writing idea dawned, and my Typewriter Problem began to be fully expressed. Now she is accompanied by about forty others, but has no less a place in my heart. And not just out of nostalgia. Anyone who uses one of these beautiful machines can't help but be immediately captivated by their precision and feel, as it will be with her new owner. You can rest assured, Robert, that she will be well loved.

And I think I'm in love with Charlie.

Cameron said...

A lovely typewriter (I have one exactly like this, too) and I can understand your separation anxiety.

However, you can comfort yourself with the "one or two" typewriters you have hanging about the house!

shordzi said...

... But a HUGE step for a typewriter collector. Well done Robert!

Richard P said...

That typing shows perfect alignment and a delightful typeface. It will bring much joy to its new owner, and that is the bright spot in this tawdry tale.

JP H. said...

Gorgeous machine... I sold an SM3 DeLuxe and felt similarly, it's the only machine I've sold to date...

http://anythinggoesatvt.blogspot.com/2013/06/first-typewriter-i-sell-olympia-sm3.html

And this reminds me I really need to post more often, because that post went up in June, oops!